Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


Sufficient means of subsistence (Students)

A student must have sufficient means of subsistence to cover his healthcare, his living costs, his study and repatriation costs. The minimum amount which he must have is fixed and indexed every year by royal decree. It is currently 670 EUR net/month (academic year 2020/2021). The proof that the student has the minimum amount required to cover his healthcare, his living costs, his study and repatriation costs is preferably provided via:

a) an attestation of a grant or loan issued by an international organization or a national authority, or a legal person, Belgian or foreign, with sufficient resources. The amount of the said grant or loan may not be below the minimum amount which a student must have every month. If necessary, the student must produce proof of complementary resources.

b) a commitment that charge will be taken (Annex 32)


However, other proof may be taken into account, such as the payment of a sum of money into a bank account of the higher education establishment where the student is registered or admitted to register. Certain universities demand that students pay into a bank account a sum supposed to cover the first year of study. This sum is then repaid, in monthly instalments, into the account opened by the student after his arrival in Belgium. In this case, the student produces an attestation from the higher education establishment relating to the payment of the sum in question and the payment, in monthly instalments, of an amount at least equal to 670 EUR, or proof of income generated by the pursuit of a paid activity. A student is authorized to pursue a paid activity outside the time normally devoted to study, provided that the said activity is ancillary. In any event, the student must establish that the said paid activity is indeed an ancillary activity pursued during his free time and that it is being pursued legally.